178 Goodrich Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Schilliger - Brings House

Photo: 2001
Address: 178 Goodrich Avenue
Neighborhood/s: Uppertown, Saint Paul, Minnesota
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1859
Year razed: Extant
Primary Style: Federalist
Secondary Style: Greek Revival
Moved from Location: 314 N. Smith Avenue, between Sherman and Ramsey Sts.
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Builder: John Schilliger
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Limestone
Material of Roof: Wood Shingle
Material of Foundation: Concrete
First Owner: John Schilliger
Notes: Moved to site in 1989.

Uppertown Saint Paul Ramsey County

The John and Maria Magdalena Schilliger house was built in 1859, at 314 N. Smith Ave. Schilliger was a stone mason who had immigrated to the U.S. from Switzerland. The house was sold to Joseph Brings in 1863, a cooper, who had immigrated from Germany. The Brings family owned the house until 1873. In September 1989, the house was moved to its present location, and restored. It is one of the oldest limestone structures in St. Paul, and the entire state of Minnesota.


Memories and stories

The Joseph Brings House, also known as the Johan and Maria Magdalena Schilliger House, was originally located at 314 Smith Avenue North, Saint Paul, Minnesota. The home was built between 1859 and 1862 by John Schilliger, and purchased by Brings in 1863; a cooper, Joseph Brings (1820-1899) was born in Germany and came to Saint Paul in 1857. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


65}px This place is part of the
Bridge Trail Walking Tour

Photo Gallery

Related Links


    Personal tools
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]