Bennett-McBride House, 3116 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Bennett-McBride house

Bennett-McBride House
Address: 3116 3rd Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1891
Primary Style: Queen Anne
Major Alterations: Some/mostly intact
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: T.P. Healy
Builder: Henry Harrison Bennett
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
First Owner: John H. McBride
Notes: McBride was a grocer at 3045 Nicollet who lived there until his death in 1943.

Central Minneapolis Hennepin County

Bennett-McBride House, 3116 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.94602,-93.273208warning.png"44.94602.-93.273208" is not a number. )
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 77000737


In 1977 this house was individually listed on the National Register as an outstanding example of the Queen Anne style.

In 1993 thirteen other houses designed and built by Healy joined the Bennett-McBride House on the National Register as the Healy Block Residential Historic District.

One of the most ornate and intact Queen Anne style houses remaining in Minneapolis, the Bennett-McBride House is elegantly detailed and handsomely preserved.

The house is a 1 ½ story wood frame example of the Queen Anne style with a steeply pitched gabled roof. The massive front gable end has a tripartite window set below a swan’s neck pediment.

The house is adorned with elaborate patterning, an ornate front porch with beaded spindle work which is characteristic of Healy, and several elaborate beveled, leaded and stained glass windows.

On the second floor of the main façade is a balcony with spindle work and wheel motifs. On the rear façade is an intact rear porch.

The interior of the house is extremely intact and well preserved. The building permit listed the original owner as Henry Harrison Bennett and the estimated cost of construction as $5,000.

Behind the house is an original cupola-capped wood frame 1 ½ story carriage house which is the most intact of three carriage houses in the district.

The other remaining carriage houses are at the back of 3137 2nd Ave So and 3145 2nd Ave So.[1]

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Coololdbuildingsmn Theron Healy

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]