Center Methodist Church, 356 Commercial Street, Provincetown, Massachusetts

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Center Methodist Church

Detail of bell tower, 1986
From Provincetown Harbor, 1986
Address: 356 Commercial Street
City/locality-
State/province
Provincetown, Massachusetts
County-
State/province:
Barnstable County, Massachusetts
State/province: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Year built: 1860
Historic Function: Religious/Place of worship
Current Function: Library

Provincetown Barnstable County

Center Methodist Church, 356 Commercial Street, Provincetown, Massachusetts
(42.0534° N, 70.1849° WLatitude: 42°3′12.24″N
Longitude: 70°11′5.64″W
)
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 75000247
Certification date: October 31, 1975


Built in 1860, this church originally had a 162-foot steeple. The steeple contained a large bronze bell cast in Eastmeadow, Massachusetts by George Holbrook. The top section of the steeple was removed in 1899 following damage from the Portland Gale of November 26-27, 1898. The current, truncated steeple is 100 feet high. The Center Methodist Church is a landmark readily visible from Provincetown Harbor.

This building was vacated by the Methodist congregation in 1955, and between 1958 and 1971 it housed the Chrysler Museum of Art. On July 4, 1976 a group of dedicated volunteers opened Provincetown's Heritage Museum in the building, and in 2001 the building was transferred to be used as Provincetown's Public Library. The library officially opened in 2005 after many needed renovations. It is on the National Registry of Historic Places (October 31, 1975), and is located in Provincetown's Historic District.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Old Provincetown in Early Photos

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]