Clay County Courthouse, 807 Eleventh Street North, Moorhead, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Clay County Courthouse

Address: 807 Eleventh Street N
City/locality-
State/province
Moorhead, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Clay County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1953
Primary Style: Other
Historic Function: Courthouse
Architect or source of design: M.O. Foss and Associates
Builder: Meinecke-Johnson Construction

Moorhead Clay County

National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 80002015
Certification date: May 7, 1980
Level of significance: Local
Primary Style: Modern Movement


The Minnesota Historical Society holds many of the historical records, such as naturalization and civil and criminal case files, from this courthouse. State laws restrict some access to records. The Minnesota State BAR association published The First 100 Years— , which holds a more complete history of the judicial history on both the local and state levels.

Clay County's first formal courthouse was built in 1879. The one-story brick building with a single-ridged roof and arched windows and doorways was built at Eighth Street and First Avenue North. Lamb Bros. constructed the 25 by 50 foot building at a cost of $2,136. Its replacement was completed in 1883. The Romanesque-style building was built of bricks from the Bergquist yards and stood on land donated by John Bergquist just west of the current courthouse. Its most prominent feature was a room-sized square corner tower rising from the foundation to a steep pyramidal roof. Keese and Fisk drew plans for the building that was excavated by J.L. Bjorkquist, and built by John Seegar of Moorhead and Pauly Bros. at a total cost of $60,625. Electric lights and steam heat were installed in 1908, and in 1917 an addition was built at a cost of $11,135. The building was demolished in 1954, when the courts moved into a new three-story rectangular block building.

The building includes a two-story, smooth, stone-faced block projecting over the center of the first story. The light-colored stone of the exterior walls contrasts with the horizontal bands formed by the windows and brick spandrels. M.O. Foss and Associates of Fargo designed the building and Meinecke-Johnson Construction Co. built it at a total cost of $725,000.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

[1]

Notes

Official Website

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]