Dakota County Courthouse (1869-1974), 101 East Fourth Street, Hastings, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Dakota County Courthouse

Address: 101 Fourth Street E
City/locality-
State/province
Hastings, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Dakota County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1869-70
Primary Style: Other
Additions: In 1954, Ellerbe and Company designed an addition to the west side of the courthouse.
Major Alterations: Some/mostly intact
Historic Function: Courthouse
Architect or source of design: A.M. Radcliffe, P. Donivan
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Metal
Material of Foundation: Limestone

Hastings Dakota County

National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 78003069
Certification date: July 21, 1978
Level of significance: Local
Primary Style: Italian Villa


In 1912 the original cupola was replaced with a new and larger domed circular cupola of the renaissance revival mode. The facades of the building are symetrical with 2 and 1/2 story towers on the corners. [1]

Contents



History

The Dakota County Courthouse, constructed from 1869 to 1871, remains one of the most dominant structures in downtown Hastings, even though an unsympathetic addition in 1955 damaged its original integrity. One of Minnesota's first architects, A. M. Radcliff, designed the building in an Italian Villa style with four symmetrical facades of brick and stone.

Architect Radcliff established a St. Paul office in 1858 and practiced until his death in 1886. He designed many downtown St. Paul business blocks during his career, including the city's Market House at Seventh and Wabasha (1878-1881) which burned in 1912 - a fire that consumed nearly the entire holdings of the St. Paul Public Library, the building's major tenant at the time.

In 1912, another St. Paul architect, the prolific Augustus Gauger, designed and implemented a renovation to the Dakota County Courthouse. The central cupola-like dome was replaced with a circular dome and the dormers were removed from the four corner towers.

Among the notable events which have taken place in or at the courthouse was a reception with a speech by President Rutherford B. Hayes on September 9, 1878.

For over 100 years the courthouse served as the seat of Dakota County government. The county board held their last meeting in the courthouse in late September 1974. In 1993, the refurbished Courthouse opened as the new Hastings City Hall.


Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

National Register from MHS

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]