Dr. Rufus H. Lane House, 3101 2nd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Dr. Rufus H. Lane House

Dr. Rufus H. Lane House
Address: 3101 2nd Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1890
Primary Style: Queen Anne
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: T.P. Healy
Builder: T.P. Healy
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
First Owner: Dr. Rufus H. Lane

Central Minneapolis Hennepin County

Dr. Rufus H. Lane House, 3101 2nd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.946503,-93.273757warning.png"44.946503.-93.273757" is not a number. )
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 93000417


This 2 ½ story, wood frame, clapboard-clad Queen Anne style house is one of the most ornate in the Healy Block Residential Historic District. Designed and built by T.P. Healy, the house is prominently situated on a corner lot.

A tower with a bulbous cap rises from the northwestern corner of the main façade. The house features a wrap-around open porch with a rounded corner and turned balusters.

Limestone piers support four short columns with Ionic capitals. There is a second story porch with fretwork on the main façade. On the south-facing side of the house is an ornate oriel window built out from the wall and resting on a bracket or corbel (a bracket projecting from the side of a wall and serving to support a cornice, the spring of an arch, a balustrade) and a two-story bay window.

The north side also has a two-story bay window and an intact rear open porch with four Ionic columns. At the rear of the house there is a second rear open porch and a second story balcony.

This was the first house built on the northern half of the 2nd Avenue side of the block. The building permit lists Healy as the original owner and the estimated cost of construction as $6,000. At the back of the lot is 1 ½ story hipped roof, stucco covered garage, built around 1915, which is also included in the historic district.

This house represents a pattern of building larger houses, filling most of the fifty foot width of the lot and close together, that characterized residential building in Minneapolis in the 1880s and 1890s.

[1]

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Coololdbuildingsmn Theron Healy

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]