Gardner Hardware Company, 515 Washington Avenue North, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Gardner Hardware Company

Gardner Hardware Company
Address: 515 Washington Avenue N
Neighborhood/s: North Loop, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Warehouse District, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1916
Historic Function: Business
Current Function: Business
Architect or source of design: Christopher Boehme
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
First Owner: Maytag Company

North Loop, Warehouse District Minneapolis Hennepin


515 Washington Avenue North was designed by Architect Christopher Adam Boehme and built in 1916 as a branch office and retail building for the Maytag Company.

Maytag originally sold agricultural machinery before its washing machines and driers were invented. Ghost signs, "The Magtag Company" "Seaman Paper" and a part of a Paint company's signs are still visible. This building is located in the National and Local Minneapolis Warehouse historic district.

According to a 2009 Minneapolis Warehouse Designation Study:

The Maytag Company warehouse is a symmetrical, four-story three bay brick and reinforced concrete structure. The building’s proportions are classical with pilaster columns, a formal entry with a stylized pediment and a small projecting cornice.

A golden brown glazed brick achieves a polychromatic effect with geometric ornamentation on the pilaster columns as well as rectangular design on the recessed spandrel panels. The first story bays flanking the entry have been modified.92 The windows appear to be original. The building retains a high level of integrity. The rear of the property abuts a Great Northern rail spur.

[1]

Gardner Hardware:

One of the oldest hardware establishments in the Twin Cities, Gardner Hardware Company was founded in 1884 by H.B. Gardner. His three sons—H.M. Gardner, G.C. Gardner and E.P. Gardner—eventually took over the family business after he retired.

In 1884 Gardner officially opened its doors to the Grant Street location. Gardner Hardware eventually moved to Fifth Street and then to the Boston Block Building (left), located on Third and Hennepin Avenue.

In 1940, Gardner Hardware moved to the Woolworth Building at 311 Nicollet Avenue. Twenty years later, as a result of the lower loop redevelopment, the company moved once again to its current home at 515 Washington Avenue North.[1]

In 1951 Lawrence K. Healy, son-in-law of G.C. Gardner, took over the company. He remained at the helm until 1977, hen he stepped down to take a less active role in the everyday running of the company. His son Stephen J. Healy took over as president and CEO.

After 127 years, the family operated Gardner Hardware based on a longstanding family tradition of high-quality products and services and a commitment to fulfilling the needs of customers. Gardner Hardware closed just before Labor Day, September, 2015.

The future of the building is not known.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Maytag builds a new building 1916

Wandering Hardware Store

Gardner Hardware Closes

Anvil Drop

Clay-Morgan memorabilia

North Loop Historic District

Warehouse District Historic Study

Historic District Design Guidelines

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]