Henry Hastings Sibley House, Mendota, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Sibley House Historic Site

Henry H. Sibley House, c. 1961
Sibley House c. 1895
Address: 1357 Sibley Memorial Highway
City/locality-
State/province
Mendota, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Dakota County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1836
Primary Style: Federalist
Secondary Style: Greek Revival
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: Museum
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Limestone
First Owner: Henry Hastings Sibley

Mendota Dakota

Henry Hastings Sibley House, Mendota, Minnesota
(44.887524,-93.164007warning.png"44.887524.-93.164007" is not a number. )
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference URL: [Reference]
Certification date: January 20, 1972
Level of significance: State
Primary Style: Federal
Secondary Style: Greek Revival


Among the earliest, permanent Euro-American structures in the region, the home of American Fur Company Agent, Henry Hastings Sibley, was an important commercial and cultural center in early 19th Century Minnesota. Strategically located near the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers, across from Fort Snelling, Sibley's home was an important meeting place for fur traders, Indians and soldiers. This activity encouraged other traders, notably Jean-Baptiste Faribault, to build nearby. Catholic missionaries soon built a church in the area and the village of Mendota gradually formed around the site. Sibley and his wife, Sarah Steele Sibley, continued to have a prominent social and political role in Minnesota, even as the fur trade waned and the growing city of St.Paul eclipsed Mendota in commercial importance. Their Mendota home continued to be a social center, even serving as the Governor's mansion and offices when Henry Sibley was elected to that office in 1858.

The Sibley family moved into St. Paul in 1863. Their Mendota home remained abandoned until about 1904 when it was taken over by the Daughters of the American Revolution who restored the building and opened it to the public as an historic home and museum. In recent years the Minnesota Historical Society has taken over the site and operate the Sibley House Historic Site in conjunction with the nearby site at Fort Snelling.

Contents


Memories and stories

Badges

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]