Huff-Lamberton House, 207 Huff Street, Winona, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Huff-Lamberton House

Huff-Lamberton House
Address: 207 Huff Street
City/locality-
State/province
Winona, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Year built: 1857
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Historic Function: Moorish Revival
Other Historic Function: Moorish Revival
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
First Owner: Henry D. Huff

Winona


National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 76001080
Reference URL: [Reference]


The Huff-Lamberton house was built in 1857 for Henry D. Huff, a land speculator who became rich as Winona expanded, building a flour mill, promoting a transit railroad, and constructing the Italian Villa mansion as a hotel. In 1873, he sold the house to a railroad land agent named Henry W. Lamberton. Lamberton’s wife, said to be an opera singer from St. Louis, added the later addition of the Moorish gazebo and porch lined with intricate ogee arches.22

The Huff Lamberton House is one of the oldest and best preserved Italian Villa style homes in Minnesota. The addition of the Moorish gazebo and porch is significant because it indicates the interest in the exotic which had become popular at the time due to the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition of 1876 where largescale Moorish architecture was featured.23

The building was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1976. It has been used as an orphanage and a senior care home. Today, the building has been renovated into apartments by Bluff City Properties.24

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Moorish Revival Style




    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]