John W. Smith House, 2544 West Lake of the Isles Parkway, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

John W. Smith House

Address: 2544 Lake of the Isles Parkway W
Neighborhood/s: Kenwood, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1915
Primary Style: Prairie School
Secondary Style: Other
Additions: [[Additions:=1926 Solarium addition designed by Liebenberg & Kaplan Architects

1938 2nd story addition to sun parlor

1996 Kitchen / bedroom addition designed by Joseph G. Metzler and Steven K. Buetow of Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady & Partners (now SALA Architects)

2002 Front stoop/walk addition designed by Joseph G. Metzler and Steven K. Buetow of Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady & Partners (now SALA Architects)]]

Major Alterations: Some/mostly intact
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: [[Source of design::Dorr and Dorr / Liebenberg & Kaplan / Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady & Partners (SALA Architects)]]
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Stucco
First Owner: John W. Smith

Kenwood Minneapolis Hennepin County

John W. Smith House, 2544 West Lake of the Isles Parkway, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.956612,-93.312816warning.png"44.956612.-93.312816" is not a number. )


This two-story brick and stucco home is a Prairie Style derivative originally built for John W. Smith in 1915. The original home was designed by Dorr and Dorr Architects. In 1926, Mr. and Mrs. Guy B. Fletcher, who then owned the home, built a solarium addition and remodeled the kitchen with both designed by Liebenberg & Kaplan. The solarium addition owes more to the popularity of Mediterranean architecture at the time it was built than the Prairie style. In 1938 a second story open porch at the rear of the home was filled-in and converted into two bathrooms. This work was not consistent with the original character of the home.

In 1996 the formerly detached garage was connected to the home by means of a two-story addition and the garage door was moved from the south to the west wall. The addition, designed by Joseph G. Metzler and Steven K. Buetow of Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady & Partners (now SALA Architects), incorporated a new kitchen, casual dining area, entry hall, rebuilt pantry, half bath, and new rear stair hall on the main level. Upstairs, a new guest bedroom, terrace, and bathroom replaced a small bedroom and the converted porch.

The centerpiece of the addition is the kitchen and casual dining area which expands on the former kitchen area by extending beyond the bounds of the original house to the garage. A decorative ceiling treatment unifies the room while cabinets and a change in level define the individual areas in a manner typical of the Prairie School.

In 2000 the front porch was remodeled and a new entry door was added. At the same time the original front stoop was replaced and new sidewalk to the house incorporating planters and retaining walls was constructed. This work was also designed by Joseph G. Metzler and Steven K. Buetow.

The addition won a Preservation Award in 1998 from the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission and an award from Custom Home magazine in 2000. The home has appeared in numerous national and regional publications including Along Bungalow Lines by Paul Duchscherer and Linda Svendsen, Bungalow Style by Treena Crochet, and The Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka. An article on the kitchen that appeared in Traditional Home is available in an on-line version.

Contents

History

2000 Porch remodeling designed by Joseph G. Metzler and Steven K. Buetow of Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady & Partners (now SALA Architects)

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]