Martin M. McNulty House, 516 N. Lexington Parkway, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Martin M. McNulty House

Address: 516 Lexington Parkway N
Neighborhood/s: Hamline-Midway, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1914
Primary Style: Prairie School
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Charles Hausler

Hamline-Midway Saint Paul Ramsey County

Martin M. McNulty House, 516 N. Lexington Parkway, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.956847° N, 93.146172° WLatitude: 44°57′24.649″N
Longitude: 93°8′46.219″W
)


This building now serves as a duplex.

Some significant details include "overhanging eaves. 2nd story windows are located directly under eaves and are groupled in horizontal bands, with 12 bands of brickwork extending around house at sill of 2nd story windows. On south side of house is a flat roof 1 story entrance and sun porch wing. Entrance is slightly recessed under a segmental arch. Decorative brick detailing on chimneys. Small bay window on north side."

The legal description is "South 83' of Lot 17 & 18, Block 1 of Simonitsch's Sub-division"

"This is the only good example of the Prarie Style in the immediate area. In plan and fenestration the house typifies the Midwestern craftsman box. But it also contains a number of distinctly Prarie School features: very broad and stuccoed soffits, a canted roof cornice, a flat sun porch roof whose cornice extends over the entryway, and a series of brick dados at the top of the chimneys. The buffet wall is fronted with clear, leaded glass windows featuring a simplified Wrightian design and the rear contains several more elaborate Wrightian stained glass windows."[1]

Contents

History

"The building permit index card for this house is blank, except for the notation "1-12-14 M. Lloyd" which may refer to the day the original building permit was issued. City directory research revealed no M. Lloyd living at this address from 1915-1925. In 1925 the house was first occupied by Martin M. McNulty, a driver, who owned the house and was still living here in 1932."

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]