Placeography:Featured place/2010-09

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Image of Old Main at Hamline University, Saint Paul, Minnesota
[1]Old Main, Hamline University, 1536 Hewitt Avenue, Saint Paul

Hamline University named for Bishop Leonidas Hamline was chartered in 1854 in Red Wing and was initially a preparatory school. By the early 1860's the school included a college program but by 1869 they suspended operations due to the lack of funds. While trying to raise funds the school decided to move to Saint Paul but reopening plans were delayed by the panic of 1873. Under the direction of Reverend John Stafford the school reopened its doors in 1880 in St. Paul in a 5 story building known as University Hall, known today as 'Old Main.' Dr. George Bridgman served as the president of the institution from 1884 until 1912 and was largely responsible for developing it into a well-established school.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]