Placeography:Featured place/2012-04

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Taylors Falls Public Library, 473 Bench Street, Taylors Falls, Minnesota

For early Minnesota residents, public libraries often provided a getaway – a place to turn armchair traveler or lose oneself in a good book. Built originally as a residence and tailor shop for John Jacob Spengler, the house was sold in 1887 to the Taylors Falls Library Association for use as the town library. The single-story, wood-frame building was built in 1854 in the Eastlake style. The front room with its barrel-vault ceiling served as Spengler’s tailor shop, which made uniforms for Taylors Falls soldiers during the Civil War. Spengler and his family lived in the back room, decorated with oak-grained pine woodwork and a pressed tin ceiling.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]