Placeography:Featured place/2013-01

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Charles F. Dight house, 4818 39th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota (Razed)

Eugenicist physician Charles Freemont Dight built and lived in this tree house. Doctor Dight purchased his lot near Minnehaha Falls from Robert Fish Jones, who operated the zoo at Longfellow Gardens. Dight built the house in 1914. According to an article in the Minneapolis Tribune of June 11, 1914,
"The queer house is built on iron posts. It is 18 x 22 feet with a cupola big enough for another room. It has two living rooms and the usual accessions. Outside it is of rough plaster and tile.
The floor is wood laid on cement. The floors are double spaced and a hot water heating system will keep warm air under them. Then there are 15 windows in a lattice work, admitting more air."
When asked why he constructed his house ten feet or more above the ground, Charles Dight explained that the ground was low due to its proximity to Minnehaha Creek, that he appreciated the better view afforded by the height, and that there was more air and sunshine available up in the tree.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]