Placeography:Featured place/2015-04

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Our Lady of Lourdes Church, 1 Lourdes Place, Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Founding and Restoration of Our Lady of Lourdes in Minneapolis Near this spot in 1680, Father Louis Hennepin first sighted and named the Falls of St. Anthony. Our Lady of Lourdes Church is the oldest continuously used church in the city of Minneapolis. It was designated a U.S. historic landmark in 1934 and is the first parish in the United States named in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes The superstructure of the church clearly shows two different types of architecture. The original building, the front rectangular nave, which is the part from the side doors back to the inner glass doors, was constructed of native limestone by the First Universalist Society between 1854 and 1857, in a Greek temple style, as can be seen in the enlarged photo on display in the vestibule of the church. Twenty years later, in 1877, the building was purchased by the Catholic French Canadian community, which had been a part of St. Anthony of Padua parish, the first Catholic parish in Minneapolis. This community has worshipped here continuously for over 135 years.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]