Placeography:Featured place/2016-01

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search

Church in the Grove, 1025 Highway 29 South East, Benson, Minnesota

The Frank Lake congregation had its origin in 1877 when C.M. Youngquist visited this community. Church services were held in various homes and the school house. On January 12, 1884, a committee met to work out a constitution for the purpose of organizing as a church congregation. The group became the "Swedish Evangelical Mission Church of Frank Lake, Murdock, Minnesota." On September 4, 1887, it was decided to build a church in Kerkhoven Township, Swift County. The Reverend Nils Frykman, who served the church as pastor from 1890 to 1905 wrote in his autobiography, that many of his songs were written as he traveled from parish to parish with his horse and buggy. He purchased the church's first organ. The 100th anniversary of the church was celebrated on August 5, 1984. In 1985 the church was closed. Dennis and Marie Johnson who were members of the Hillcrest Cemetery Association, placed an ad on Craigslist in 2012 listing the church for sale for $1. Kathy Weckwerth purchased and moved the church to the family farm in Benson Minnesota. The church was moved by Thein movers on August 14, 2012. It was renovated and renamed The Church in the Grove and is home to Best Life Ministries.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]