Placeography:Featured place/2016-04

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Julia Bullard Nelson House, 219 5th Street, Red Wing, Minnesota

Julia Bullard Nelson was an early Goodhue County Settler, pioneer educator, and a leader in the woman suffrage and temperance organizations. In 1866 she married Ole Nelson who died only three years into their marriage. Their son Cyrus also died. In 1869 Julia was sent by the American Missionary Association to Texas and was a teacher to "freedmen" for twenty years. She returned to Red Wing in 1889. In 1881 Julia and fourteen other women, including Dr. Martha George Ripley, founded the Minnesota Woman Suffrage Association. She wrote editorials for the Red Wing Republican newspaper and was editor of the White Ribbon, a Women's Christian Temperance Union newspaper published in Minneapolis. Her two story wood frame house has a structure that unified two dwellings, each consisting of three bay fronts. The east wing has a full front porch. The portico covering the entry of the west wing replaced an older front porch. Julia lived in the house and offered room and board. The house, located near the commercial district in Red Wing, was a convenient meeting space for local women and guests who traveled to Red Wing by railcar. The house was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in April 1979. It was demolished in 2004.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]