Placeography:Featured place/2017-02

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Saint Anthony Commercial Club, 200 Central Avenue SE, Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Saint Anthony Commerical Club consists of two buildings. 200 Central Avenue Southeast and 113 2nd Street Southeast. The Club was originally established in 1905 and the purpose of the club was to promote industrial and commercial growth as well as support civic improvements 200 Central Avenue, was constructed in 1929 for the Saint Anthony Commercial Club. . As the club aged, it put more emphasis on social activities. The building was designed in the English Tudor Revival Style and designed by Long & Thorshov. When completed, the building contained a dining room, lounge and billiards room. A garage addition was added in 1955. The second building, the Athletic Club building, was built as an addition to the Commercial Club in 1966 to house athletic facilities. The Commercial Club occupied the building until 1973. Since then, the 200 Central building has been occupied by the Washburn-McReavy Funeral Chapel. In the same year, the Athletic Club split from the Commercial Club. A filling station once occupied what is now the south part of the 200 Central site. It was demolished in 1944. Prior to these uses, wood frame residential uses occupied these properties. Developer Altatus has plans to build a condo tower on this site and demolish this building.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]