Placeography:Featured place/2017-11

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Sons of Norway Building, 1455 West Lake Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Sons of Norway Building at 1455 West Lake street was the third building the organization occupied and the first building specifically designed and built for them by Minnesota architects and building contractors of Norwegian heritage. An article from the Minneapolis Star written in 1960 described the architectural drawings showing two separate buildings joined by a glassed in corridor. A courtyard with a garden was to be between the two buildings. The main building was to be 4 stories. A new innovation, a three lane drive-in for the Fifth Northwestern National bank's "motorized bank" was placed under the auditorium. Designed by architects Roy Thorsov and Willard Thorsen, the primary building material were recessed concrete panels dyed black with an external layer of black granite aggregate. In sunlight, the black granite had a subtle sparkling effect. Adolfson and Peterson where the general contractor. Construction started with a groundbreaking on Jan 21, 1961 and was completed in February 1962. Open houses were held for the community in April and the building was dedicated in August. In August 2017 Ryan companies announced that they had acquired the building and an adjacent surface parking lot and would demolish the former Sons of Norway building and replace it with apartments.

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]