First Baptist Church, 360 West Main Street, Richmond, Kentucky

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
{{Infobox Building
{{Infobox Building
 +
|city-locality=Richmond
 +
|county=Madison
 +
|county_suffix=County
|state-province=Kentucky
|state-province=Kentucky
 +
|country=United States
 +
|building_image1=1988-09-10.jpg
}}
}}
{{Location}}
{{Location}}

Revision as of 23:27, January 19, 2009

Edit with form
City/locality-
State/province
Richmond, Kentucky
County-
State/province:
Madison County, Kentucky
State/province: Kentucky
Country: United States

Richmond Madison County


Gen. Green Clay, Cassius M. Clay’s father, deeded the lot on the corner of Main Street and Lancaster Avenue in 1828 to the trustees of the Particular Baptist Church. (See MA-199) Now called the First Baptist Church of Richmond, it was one of the earliest churches in Richmond.

Architects Stamler and Gilling designed this classical revival style church in 1922 to replace an earlier structure on the site. Brick and decorative stonework mark this large bascilical-plan edifice. At the gable end unfluted Tuscan columns of stone support a classical pedimented portico that has been embellished with a stained glass window, dentils, and a classical entablature. Three double-leaf doors lead into the narthex of the sanctuary. Over the doors are semicircular stained glass fanlights with keystones at the apexes. Three squared windows above the fanlights repeat the stained glass.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]