Handicraft Guild Addition, 1004 Marquette Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 37: Line 37:
The environment is full of light and beautiful woodwork.  The building inspires and stimulates creativity.  It is an Arts and Crafts masterwork of architecture and interior design.
The environment is full of light and beautiful woodwork.  The building inspires and stimulates creativity.  It is an Arts and Crafts masterwork of architecture and interior design.
-
Artists, photographers and musical instrument makers have always worked in the Handicraft Guild's buildings and continue to do so today.
+
Artists, photographers and musical instrument makers have always worked in the Handicraft Guild's buildings and continue to do so today.
The stores that surround the buildings at the street level are run by artists, a wig maker, a tailor, and an art gallery.  These are vital, diverse, entrepreneurial businesses.
The stores that surround the buildings at the street level are run by artists, a wig maker, a tailor, and an art gallery.  These are vital, diverse, entrepreneurial businesses.

Revision as of 21:59, June 4, 2015

Edit with form

Handicraft Guild Addition

Address: 1004 Marquette Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Downtown West, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1914
Primary Style: Georgian
Historic Function: School
Current Function: Business
Architect or source of design: William Channing Whitney, Hewitt & Brown
Builder: H.N. Leighton
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Building Permit Number: A12663
Notes: Addition to the

Handicraft Guild (1907) 89-91 S 10th Street

Downtown West Minneapolis Hennepin


The original Handicraft Guild building at 89-91 South 10th street, was built in 1907 to provide a permanent facility for the Handicraft Guild school to educate art teachers and provide apprenticeships for artists and craftspersons. There was a store which offered the artists work and a Guild Hall where lectures and concerts were held. The teachers taught at the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts at the Minneapolis Public Library or the Minneapolis Public School system. During the summer they taught at the Handicraft Guild. Students came to the Guild from throughout Minnesota and the Midwest. The teachers traveled to other Guilds in Chicago and Boston and to Arts Institutions exhibiting their work and the work of their students. The Handicraft Guild was also the center of artistic culture and commerce in the Twin Cities.

The founders of the Guild, Mary Emma Roberts, Mary Moulton Cheney and Florence Willets formed a plan with Emma's childhood friends Joseph and Susan Kingman who had funded the construction of the original Handicraft Guild building. The plan was for an addition to be built on 1st Avenue south (which was renamed Marquette Avenue in 1913.) The architects for the addition were Edwin Hewitt and Edwin Brown who perfectly replicated the Georgian Revival exterior of the original Handicraft Guild building blending it perfectly with William Channing Whitney's design. The interior improved upon the original Guild building's design. Private studios and communal spaces were lit by state of the art "Sky Lights" and enormous windows. Abundant rich wood paneling, doors and staircases established a connection between nature and Arts and Crafts style, function and beauty.

Ernest Batchelder designed handmade tile for the Marquette entry way which resembles miniature red cobblestones interwoven with sacred symbols of Christian and Asian religions. The studios and classrooms were surrounded by storefronts that provided new venues for artists and small businesses to sell their work.

The building was connected to the original Handicraft building through a central hallway and underground tunnel. The design is such that movement throughout the buildings and from one building to another must have been easy and flowing.

If the Handicraft Guild building was built today, it would win awards in Green Building and Sustainable Design. The environment is full of light and beautiful woodwork. The building inspires and stimulates creativity. It is an Arts and Crafts masterwork of architecture and interior design.

Artists, photographers and musical instrument makers have always worked in the Handicraft Guild's buildings and continue to do so today. The stores that surround the buildings at the street level are run by artists, a wig maker, a tailor, and an art gallery. These are vital, diverse, entrepreneurial businesses.

The Handicraft Guild addition was completed and opened in 1914. When the Guild disbanded in 1918, some of the independent artists and musical instrument makers continued to work in the building. Photographers Norton and Peel had their studios in this building until the 1960s.

Mary Moulton Cheney became the first female president of the school of the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts. Ruth Raymond became the head of the Fine Arts department at the University of Minnesota. Ernest Batchelder and Douglas Donaldson and their families went to Los Angeles California and founded the Southern California Handicraft Guild. Some of the former Minneapolis Handicraft Guild leaders such as Emma Roberts and Florence Willets, when they retired from teaching drawing and painting at Minneapolis Public Schools, also moved to Los Angeles and also became members of the Southern California Arts and Crafts movement.

The sole long term tenants of the Handicraft Guild Addition today are Clair Givens Violins and Dipper Restorations who have had their business here for at least 30 years, serving the musicians of Orchestra Hall, music students and national and international musicians.

In the 1990s the original Handicraft Guild and its Marquette addition were owned by Margot Seigel who intended to sell both buildings to a developer who intended to demolish them and build a hotel. Strong grassroots opposition resulted in the local historic landmark designation of both buildings in October 1998. Seigel filed a lawsuit and the Minnesota Court of Appeals removed the Handicraft Guild addition from historic landmark status (in 2000) stating that there was no written proof that 1004 Marquette was an addition to the original Handicraft Guild building on S 10th street.

The buildings have been the focus of many development proposals. Pratt-Ordway and Village Green have a current (2015) proposal for an 18 story apartment building.

The proposal will retain the original Handicraft Guild building at 89-91 S 10th street but demolish the Handicraft Guild addition at 1000-1006 Marquette (1004 Marquette is the primary address) which occupies the entire block of 10th and Marquette.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery




Related Links

Handicraft Guild (1907)

Slideshow - What Does it Look Like?

Norton and Peel

Proposed development-2015

School brochure

The Handicraft Guild School of Design and Normal Art 1916-1917

Permits

Building Permit-1914

Permit Cards

Minneapolis Local Historic Landmark Designation

National Register of Historic Places nomination 1997

Artists

The Handicraft Guild Art Collective 2015

Biographies

Ernest Batchelder Tiles

Batchelder's Principles of Design

Keeywadin Elemenary School fountain - Minneapolis

Batchelder in Minnesota

Batchelder in California

Salvaging Batchelder

Mary Linton Bookwalter

Articles

It's Here We Live

Skylights on the roof of 1004 Marquette

Tenants

Givens Violins

Andrew Dipper Restorations

1998

Letters

Designation Resolution

Greenwich Village 5-1-1973

On the Chopping Block‎ 5-12-97

Historic Designation 8-25-98

Building Tension 9-21-98

Shop Owner 6-4-99

Court can rule 6-2-00


Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]