MacKenzie House, 3501 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN

From Placeography

Revision as of 04:17, June 28, 2008 by Hooverjp (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

MacKenzie House

Address: 3501 Bryant Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: CARAG, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1889
Primary Style: Queen Anne
Major Alterations: Removal of the porte cochere and original barn.warning.png"Removal of the porte cochere and original barn." is not in the list of possible values (Intact, Some/mostly intact, Altered, Significant Alterations, Alterations more apparent than original) for this property.
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Builder: William K. Chapman
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Weatherboard
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
Material of Foundation: Stone

CARAG Minneapolis Hennepin

MacKenzie House, 3501 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN
(44.939378,-93.290379warning.png"44.939378.-93.290379" is not a number. )

The house was built in 1889 by William K. Chapman for $5000. At that time a 16' x 28' barn was also built at the southeast corner of the property. Cost of the barn was $350.



The home appears to have been a rental property for about 22 years after it was built. Frannie Loesch sold the home to Prudence Maria MacKenzie on July 22, 1901. Prudence lived in the house with her parents and siblings. The family name was alternately spelled MacKenzie and McKenzie in official documents. The home remained in the family for 85 years, passing from sister to sister to sister and finally to niece Dorothy Jackson who owned the home until 1986.

Although the home is essentially intact, a great many changes appear to have taken place during the years the home was owned by the MacKenzies and Dorothy Jackson. Most of these changes had the effect of removing historic character from the home.

The upper porch originally featured two doors. One of these was under the gable roof. The other was on the west side of the north bay. Both of these have been converted to windows. The front entrance door was narrowed from a pair of doors to a single door. The porch skirting has lost the three horizontal bands that The wood shingle roof is gone as are the original gutters, sawn wood roof cresting, and finials. The cap on the side chimney was also altered and the rear chimney was removed above the roof. The original second floor front window or storm has been changed from a vertical muntin to a double hung window with a horizontal muntin on the storm window.

It appears there was a side porch off the original dining room along 35th Street and there was a door just east of the bay that has been converted to a window. Around the corner on the east side of the house, the existing band of three short windows are obviously not original and probably replaced a single, taller window. There is physical evidence of another former door (since replaced with a window) on the second floor of this same facade at the south corner. This suggests that there would have been another porch or an exterior stairway at this location.

Currently there exists a continuous first floor window sill that runs from the east end of the north bay all of the way to the southwest corner of the house, as well as from the northeast corner to the rear door. Physical evidence has been uncovered that indicates that this sill originally was continuous around the entire first floor on all sides of the house.

A partial restoration of the exterior was recently completed by Joseph G. Metzler of SALA Architects. The work included the reconstruction of the upstairs front porch, including a gable roof covering the area directly above the front door. The decorative gable trim on the two eastern gables as well as the northern gable was reconstructed. A new decorative porch roof bracket replaced a 4x4 that supported the porch roof and various trim was repaired and replaced.

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links


    Personal tools
    [ snubnosed]