Minneapolis-Saint Paul Building, 2429 University Avenue West, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Revision as of 18:42, November 11, 2010 by Mdougla (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Minneapolis-Saint Paul Building

Minneapolis-Saint Paul building
Side view
Address: 2429 University Avenue W
Neighborhood/s: Saint Anthony Park, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1909
Primary Style: Art Deco/Art Moderne
Additions: in 1913 one story addition 20'x60' by

Bertrand and Chamberlain

Historic Function: Office
Historic Function: Publishing
Other Historic Function: Publishing
Current Function: Religious/Place of worship
Architect or source of design: Bertrand and Chamberlain
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Foundation: Stone
First Owner: Twin City Commercial Bulletin

Saint Anthony Park Saint Paul Ramsey County

Minneapolis-Saint Paul Building, 2429 University Avenue West, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.964947° N, 93.198797° WLatitude: 44°57′53.809″N
Longitude: 93°11′55.669″W
)


"The Minneapolis-Saint Paul Building at 2429 University Avenue (West) is one of the most intact of the earlier buildings still standing in the area. Built in 1909, it features ornate patterned brickwork and brick pilasters, and was built as the general office for the Twin City Commercial Bulletin." [1]

Contents

History

According to the building permit issued by the city of St. Paul on April 8th, 1909, the Twin City Commercial Bulletin building was built in 1909 for an estimated cost of $18,000.00. The building is was intended to be a printing facility.

The Twin City Com Bulletin owned the building until at least 1913.

The next permit was issued to a G.S. Cunningham in 1920.

In October of 1930 Brown Pat (patent?)

Company is listed, followed by Stahl Oil Co n 1931.

The owner name bounces back and forth between Stahl Oil and George Cunningham leading me to believe that Mr. Cunningham owned the building and rented to Stahl. Cunningham shows up multiple times between 1920 and 1939.

In 1934 another publication, the Automotive Journal, is listed, followed by Highway Safety Inc. from 1938-1946

Between 1966 and 1967 there were a number of sizable permits taken out by Elan Industries for building, electrical, steam heat and related building trades.

Will Peterson Research Manager Curatorial Associate Ramsey County Historical Society Ask a Historian [1]



COMMERCIAL BULLETIN—An important factor in the growth of Minneapolis as a wholesale center has been the Commercial Bulletin and Northwest Trade, which since it was founded in 1883, has ably and consistently labored to extend and inerease the trade of the wholesale and manufacturing industries of the city. A weekly paper, having a wide circulation among retail merchants throughout the Northwest, it has grown with the development of the market, until today it is recognized as one of the strongest trade publications of the country.

The history of the Commercial Bulletin and Northwest Trade dates back to October, 1883, when T. T. Bacheller founded the Grocers' Bulletin, which was financed by one of the large jobbing houses of the city. It soon became evident to Mr. Bacheller that Minneapolis was to be a great jobbing center and that with St. Paul it would control the greater part of the trade of Minnesota and the Dakotas, with sections of Iowa and Wisconsin, and gradually reach out westward, to the coast.

Accordingly, in May, 1884, he placed his paper on an independent footing, changing its name to the Commercial Bulletin and championing the wholesale and manufacturing interests of Minneapolis in such an aggressive way that the paper soon became known as the representative organ of the Minneapolis merchandise market. Up to 1885 the Commercial Bulletin had depended almost entirely upon the Minneapolis market for its support, but as the years moved on its influence with the retailers of the Northwest became so strong that manufacturers and wholesalers in all parts of the United States came to recognize it as the best medium for reaching the retail trade of the Northwest.

Its success inspired the establishment in 1884 of the Northwest Trade. In May, 1885, Mr. Bacheller sold the Commercial Bulletin to S. W. AIvord, a Pennsylvanian backed by two Minneapolis attorneys. Early in 1886 Mr. Alvord sold a half interest in the paper to Will S. Jones, then an advertising solicitor on one of the Minneapolis daily newspapers, and in 1887 sold the remaining half interest to Red Clay McCauley. Mr. Jones a little later bought out Mr. McCauley's interest, thereby becoming sole owner and manager.

The Northwest Trade was soon afterward acquired by Mr. Jones and the two papers were consolidated. Since 1902 the editorial direction of the paper has been in charge of W. E. Davis, with the exception of a year and a half, when I. A. Fleming occupied the editorial chair. In April, 1906. the Commercial Bulletin and Northwest Trade became the property of the Root Newspaper Association, publishers of a number of the most important and successful trade publications of the country. George L). Mekeel, formerly of St. Louis, assumed the business management of the property. Since that time it has been much enlarged and improved and now ranks as one of the strongest journals devoted to retail merchandising.

[1]

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery


Related Links

[2] Ramsey County Historical Society

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]