Nicollet County Courthouse, 501 South Minnesota Avenue, Saint Peter, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Nicollet County Courthouse and Jail

Nicollet County Courthouse ca. 1890
Address: 501 Minnesota Street S
Saint Peter, Minnesota
Nicollet County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1880
Primary Style: Victorian
Historic Function: Courthouse
Historic Function: Jail
Other Historic Function: Jail
Current Function: Courthouse
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: Asphalt
Material of Foundation: Limestone

Saint Peter Nicollet County

National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 02000939
Certification date: September 6, 2002
Level of significance: Local
Primary Style: Late Victorian
Secondary Style: Romanesque Revival

The first courthouse at St. Peter in Nicollet County was built by the St. Peter Company as a temporary building, to be replaced by what citizens believed would be the state capitol building of Minnesota. When this "sure thing" didn't happen, the Company initiated in 1859 the election that moved the county seat from Traverse des Sioux to St. Peter. The $5,000, two-story, frame building at Minnesota and Broad became the county courthouse. The old frame courthouse was St. Peter's city hall until 1886, when it burned to the ground. The current courthouse was designed by Edward P. Bassford and E.W. Stebbins of St. Paul. It cost $26,638 and was completed in 1881 by Bohn & Wilce of Winona on three lots donated by St. Peter citizens. The building has a strong Italianate style, as well as elements of the Romanesque Revival style. Decoration in the light stone trim includes the Latin word for "law" -- LEX -- over the doorway. The courthouse was extended in 1917. A pagoda-like, mansard-roofed addition was built to protect the front entrance in 1967. A three-story addition built across the back of the block in 1978 blends the old with the new. It was designed by Wick-Kagermeier-Skaar of Mankato and is made of brick and limestone with two-story arched window openings. The building cost $913,512. As space became available in the new building, $200,000 was spent to renovate and refurbish the original building. On March 28, 1998, a tornado damaged the 1880s building, destroyed the steeple, and lifted the John A. Johnson statue from its base. A new steeple was built in November of that year. The Minnesota Historical Society contributed $288,148 toward restoration of the building's window woodwork, front steps, and front entry and the building reopened in June 2000. In March 2001, a three-year construction project began that remodeled the building and added 35,000 square feet to it at a cost of $10.5 million. The project was funded through insurance, state and federal funding, and new bonding. In may of that year, the courthouse was officially renamed the Nicollet County Government Center.


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links


The Minnesota Historical Society holds many of the historical records, such as naturalization and civil ad criminal case files, of Minnesota courthouse. State laws restrict some access to records. The Minnesota State BAR Association published "The First 100 Years--", which holds a more complete history of the judicial branch on both local and the states levels.

    Personal tools
    [ snubnosed]