Placeography:Featured place/2018-03

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search

Mdougla (Talk | contribs)
(New page: {|valign="top" align="bottom" style="mar{| valign="top" align="bottom" style="margin: 0px 5px 5px 0px;" 200px |}'''[[]Handicraft Guild Addition, 1004 M...)
Newer edit →

Revision as of 18:04, March 1, 2018

[[]Handicraft Guild Addition, 1004 Marquette Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota


The original Handicraft Guild building at 89-91 South 10th street, was built in 1907 to provide a permanent facility for the Handicraft Guild school to educate art teachers and provide apprenticeships for artists and craftspersons. A few years after this building was built, Mary Emma Roberts, Mary Moulton Cheney and Florence Willets formed a plan with Emma's childhood friends Joseph and Susan Kingman to build an addition to the original Handicraft Guild. The architects for the addition were Edwin Hewitt and Edwin Brown who perfectly replicated the Georgian Revival exterior of the original Handicraft Guild building blending it perfectly with William Channing Whitney's design. The interior improved upon the original Guild building's design. Private studios and communal spaces were lit by state of the art "Sky Lights" and enormous windows. Abundant rich wood paneling, doors and staircases established a connection between nature and Arts and Crafts style, function and beauty. Ernest Batchelder added handmade tiles to the Marquette entry with sacred symbols of Christian and Asian religions. The studios and classrooms were surrounded by storefronts that provided new venues for artists and small businesses to sell their work. The building was connected to the original Handicraft building through a central hallway and an underground tunnel. If the Handicraft Guild Addition was built today, it would have won awards in Green Building and Sustainable Design. The environment was full of light and beautiful woodwork. The building inspired and stimulated creativity. It was an Arts and Crafts masterwork of architecture and interior design. On March 1st 2018, the first day of Women’s history month, and 100 years after the Handicraft Guild school was closed, the demolition of the Handicraft Guild addition was completed.

Personal tools
[ snubnosed]