West Calhoun, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Revision as of 18:04, September 18, 2007 by Admin (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

West Calhoun is located on the western edge of Minneapolis in the Calhoun-Isles community. The neighborhood is bounded by France Avenue, Lake Street, Lake Calhoun and 36th Street. Lake Calhoun has gone through several name changes. Some Dakota people called the lake "Mde Ma-ka-ska,” which means "Lake of the White Earth." This was because of the lake’s sandy north shore. Later, early Europeans renamed the lake with another Dakota name, "Medoza," or loon. The current name comes from early surveyors who mapped the western lands in 1817. They named it after the secretary of war at the time, John C. Calhoun. Calhoun was also a congressman, senator, secretary of state and vice president.

The Grand Rounds Scenic Byway borders Lake Calhoun, and the oldest country club in Minneapolis, the Minikahda Club, occupies most of the western and southern sections of the neighborhood.

Related Links

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/neighborhoods/westcalhoun_profile_home.asp

Personal tools
Contribute
[http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]