William O. Clark House, 3342 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 53: Line 53:
}}
}}
{{Memory Header}}
{{Memory Header}}
 +
 +
{{Query/tour}}
 +
== Photo Gallery ==
== Photo Gallery ==

Revision as of 00:32, December 29, 2017

Edit with form

William O. Clark House

3342 Park Avenue - 2008
3342 Park Avenue - Staircase Landing Detail
Address: 3342 Park Avenue
Neighborhood/s: Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Year built: 1901
Primary Style: Colonial Revival
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Lowell A. Lamoreaux
Builder: William O. Clark
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
Material of Foundation: Limestone
First Owner: William O. Clark
Part of the Site: Park Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Central Minneapolis Hennepin


INTRODUCTION

According to Minneapolis building permits, original owner and Building Contractor William O. Clark applied to have Architect Lowell A. Lamoreaux design, and himself erect, this Colonial Revival home and barn in August of 1901. Construction was completed at a total cost of $3,270.


ARCHITECT

Lowell A. Lamoreaux was an influential Minneapolis architect, having designed a great number of important residential and commercial structures, many of which are today listed on the Local and National Register of Historic Places. Lamoreaux graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1887 and by the early 1890s had become associated with Cass Gilbert, notable architect of the Minnesota State Capital Building. In 1895, Lamoreaux formed a partnership with notable Architect James McLeod, where it is believed he had input on the design of many houses attributed to McLeod. In 1900, Lamoreaux split with McLeod and worked independently until forming the firm of Long, Lamoreaux, and Long in 1908. Long, Lamoreaux, and Long are said to have designed more of Minneapolis's major downtown buildings than perhaps any other firm.


Some of the most important and historically recognized structures that Lamoreaux is associated with include: the Plymouth Building; the Renaissance Revival Grain Exchange East Building; Butler Square's Butler Brothers North Building, the 12-story Gothic Revival YMCA Building; City Place building (current home of Metropolitan State University's Mpls campus); and the Colonial Revival Theodore Wirth House at 39th Street and Bryant Avenue in south Minneapolis. Theodore Wirth was one of the most influential architects of the Minneapolis park system, having served as Park Board Superintendent for over two decades. Lamoreaux also left his mark on the exclusive Lowry Hill neighborhood where he designed many fine residences for some of Minneapolis's most prominent businessmen.


Lowell A. Lamoreaux also designed 3342 Park's neighbor, the John Friedman house at 3338 Park Avenue.


BUILDER AND ORIGINAL OWNER

William O. Clark was a prominent and successful local builder, having built many important residential and commercial structures in the city. According to the Compendium of History and Biography of Minneapolis and Hennepin County, "Minneapolis presents many evidences of the skill and ability of William O. Clark as a builder, for through a long period he was identified with contract work in this city and many beautiful residences are the indication of his efficiency and high standing in his chosen calling. Mr. Clark has erected many beautiful homes in Minneapolis which are still among the attractive residences here. His preliminary training has been thorough and comprehensive and he was a close student of the business to which he devoted his life. He thoroughly understood the scientific principles as well as the practical phases of his work and the structures which he erected are a splendid combination of utility, strength, convenience, and beauty." [1]


William Clark and his wife, Francis, lived at 3342 Park Avenue until 1905 when William completed construction on 3342 Park's immediate neighbor to the south, 3348 Park; at which time they moved to 3348 Park, where they continued to live until the 1920s. William Clark also partnered with Architect Lowell A. Lamoreaux to construct the neighboring John Friedman house at 3338 Park Avenue.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

1. Compendium of History and Biography of Minneapolis and Hennepin County, Minnesota: H. Taylor & Co., 1914. Pages 314-317.

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]